Monday, February 22, 2010

Senior Weekly Update


Posted by Kari Foreman, Senior Captain

As we begin the last week of our six week spring workout program, we are excited for spring break, enthusiastic about starting to play outside in the beginning or March and…TIRED! For those not familiar with our program’s workouts, a week in the life of an MSUB Women’s soccer player consists of 6:30am sprints, lifting, individual training sessions and the grueling Jumps program, run by athletic trainer Pat Hughes, intended to strengthen our legs and prevent injuries. Add in class and social activities and we are busy bees, literally! But the team continues to work hard, accepting the challenge that accompanies being a college athlete with open arms. The hard work that we put in now is in preparation for what we hope and expect to be an extremely successful fall.

This is my last spring season, and as I approach the last week of spring workouts that I’ll ever have, I have a bitter sweet feeling. I feel accomplished in a lot of ways, but I also feel as if though my (our) true potential has not been reached. So, I struggle to push through every day, with my teammates by my side, in order to be the best that I possibly can be to compete for a GNAC title. The season that lies ahead of me will be, without a doubt, the most important season I will ever play in. Ultimately, the goal will be to make the NCAA tournament and make a run for the most prestigious title in Division II soccer.

Our task is not simple, our competition consists of some of the most skilled players in the nation, but we will do everything we can to beat them. So for now, that means getting up at 5:45am to run many football field lengths of sprints, it means lifting an extra ten pounds, sweating out training sessions and Jump programs even when our legs are tired and sore. It means finishing our homework when we’d rather be doing nothing, so that we can make sure to get to bed early, or getting into the training room to aid our recovery, taking painful ice baths despite the fact that it is negative 5 degrees out.

The job is not easy, but we have gone to great lengths to be successful and we will continue to do so throughout the next several months so that we will be the ultimate threat come early August.As a senior my main goal is to give everything I possibly have every day, to push my team when they are tired, to ensure that everyone leaves everything they have in the gym or on the field no matter what it is we are doing. We have worked so hard in the past few weeks and I am so proud of this program and the dedicated people in it. I will leave the COT next fall for the last time as a player, but we are all forever going to be Yellowjackets, and we will remember what we did and did not accomplish. I will wake up tomorrow at 5:45am, to go run with 15 other girls, knowing that all I ever want to remember about my time at MSUB is greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment