Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Experience at MSUB


Posted by Ally Stroup (03-06: player, 07-09: assistant coach), MSUB Alum

The summer prior to my senior year of high school, I was visiting my family in Wyoming. I was speaking to my uncle who played collegiate football at the University of Utah about the recruiting process. I was speaking to him about the different universities that had contacted me from showcases and other tournaments, but that none of the schools really stood out to me as a place I would want to spend four years of my life. I didn’t have many criteria that the college of my dreams would need to meet, but at the same time, I knew exactly what I wanted out of my college experience. First of all, I knew that I wanted to attend a college outside of California. I had spent eighteen years of my life in California and I knew that I wanted a fresh experience, somewhere different and new! Secondly, I did not want to attend a huge school where I would get lost in the shuffle. I wanted to have a personable experience with my academics where the professors would know who I was. Lastly, I wanted to play on a team where I could make a difference. I wanted to come in instantly my freshman year and make an impact. Sitting on the bench for most of my freshman and sophomore years and maybe having the potential to play my junior and senior years was not appealing to me. My family suggested MSUB and after making a trip north to Billings, I realized that it met and exceeded my expectations for my collegiate experience.

While on my visit at MSUB, I realized there were additional positive aspects present that I didn’t realize at the time would mean so much to me – the team and the coaching staff. When I met the team, I noticed a family atmosphere. It was apparent the moment I met the girls that it wasn’t just a team, but a family. I felt extremely welcomed and I wanted to belong to that family. I also really liked the coaching staff. Don’s coaching style and philosophy was not only similar to those I was used to, but I also knew that his coaching style and philosophy would bring out the best in me as a person, student, and athlete. I thrived off of coaches having high expectations of their team and players, and that was exactly what I noticed.

Throughout my four years at MSUB, I grew immensely as a person, student, and athlete. Like in any family, there were trials and tribulations. Overcoming these not only allowed the team to grow closer as a family, but it also allowed each individual to learn and mature. As a captain for two of the four years, I was required to place myself in a leadership role and hold myself to a higher standard on and off the field. As a student, I knew that in order to be successful, I could not just go through the motions in the classroom. On the field, I wanted to be the best and strived each year to improve from the year prior. I wanted to win games and would be devastated when we didn’t. Not only did the coaching staff have high expectations for the team and individuals, but I also had high expectations of my teammates, but mostly myself. I wanted to win and needed to score goals to allow us to do so.

After my senior season, the spring semester seemed very odd without the early morning workouts, the sprints, the lifting… I knew that I still wanted to be a part of the team and family atmosphere. As I started working as the Assistant Coach, I learned a new appreciation for what coaches, especially at the collegiate level, are required to do and deal with.

Although I really enjoyed working for Don and still being a part of MSUB Women’s Soccer, I felt as through I arrived at a crossroad in my life. I had, and still do have, a lot of passion for MSUB Women’s Soccer, but I wasn’t 100% sure if coaching was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I made the difficult decision in November to resign my three season post as the Women’s Soccer Assistant Coach. I currently am working at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch working with ten 15-18 year old boys with severe emotional disturbances, mental illnesses, and conduct disorders. I am also finishing up with my Masters Degree in Education – School Counseling option and am hoping to then gain my license as a Licensed Professional Counselor.

I have applied numerous skills and lessons learned from my experiences at MSUB both as a student-athlete and coach in to my current employment at YBGR. I am very grateful for my seven year kick at MSUB. I learned a lot about myself – what I can do, what I can deal with, and what is important to me – through my experience as a student-athlete and coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment