Wednesday, November 10, 2010

INSPIRED BY THE SENIORS

Posted by Heidi Greenback, Freshman Forward

Awhile ago Don asked us to write the initials on our hand of the person who inspired us the most and was the reason we are here at MSUB competing for a trip to the NCAA tournament. It wasn’t till the evening after our loss at Saint Martin’s when we were all together in a hotel room and the seniors, some of them tearing up, asked us to play for them because they are playing for us that I realized who truly inspired me this season. The people I would do anything for, and who I would give everything I have to not only extend their final season at MSUB, but to extend the time I get to play with them. The six seniors: Carly Valentine, Sami Sandau, Jordan Fenwick, Kari Foreman, Sam Boehm and Lauren Anderson are my inspiration. I have worn their initials on my sock every game since then…. and every run, tackle or goal I score is dedicated to them. Even though I may have three more years at MSUB…in a way it is my last season too, my last season to play with this group of people.

The six of them can not possibly know the impact they have had on me not only as a player, but as a person too. It is not possible for there to have been better people for me to look up to as I started my freshman year. I remember my first practice and how I was completely exhausted after 15 minutes, and how intimidated I was by the upperclassmen. Those that know me know I can be incredibly shy around people I do not know, and here were six amazing athletes that I was trying to impress. To say the least I was freaked. But as time went on my shell started to crack and I realized that they will talk to me, I just had to be able to form words myself. Now I know I can always go up to any of them with anything and when tragedy did strike my family they were there for me to help pick me back up. Whether it was the texts letting me know they were there for me, the hugs at practice or the fact that every single one of them changed their Facebook status to “Fight. Believe. Hope.” It meant more than words can describe to me. While it was great to get to see and spend time with my famil, I found myself missing my teammates and even caught myself referring to Billings as home. And it is home, home to my soccer family of which this group of seniors plays a big role.

I have already created several memories that will last me a lifetime with these players whether they realize it or not: Sami, who had to the pleasure of rooming with me when I was sick, got to experience my snoring in prime form and got to walk in on me sleeping in the bathroom of the hotel. Kari and Jordan love to make fun of my frequent hand balls before practice. Carly who I swear catches me at my most embarrassing moments all the time got to experience a car ride to Subway with us freshman and heard my newly acquired accent. Lauren pointed out to me that I back-peddle a bit awkwardly, and apparently enjoys laughing at my dance moves during warm-ups. Sam Boehm saw my dorm room completely destroyed and also saw me as a mess, but she was there for me that night and it meant more than I can describe.

While I’m upset that I only got one season with these amazing people, I feel lucky to have gotten that short time with them and was able to make history alongside them. I am honored to be able to call myself their teammate and when they do great things with their lives, which I know each and every one of them will, I will be proud to say I was a part of their lives, at least a year of it anyways.

KF SS SB LA JF CV I love you guys so let’s go out and tear up the tournament because I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet, EOP!

No comments:

Post a Comment