Friday, April 30, 2010

Don't Say Goodbye, Say See You Soon


Posted by Chelsea Libby, Alumni (05-09)

I remember my first day at MSUB, feeling scared, excited, nervous and not knowing what to expect. As a freshman you come in not knowing anyone, but the girls who seem like strangers to you quickly become your closest friends and teammates. Soccer bonds us together in a unique way because you go through so much together; from preseason practices two times a day, the grueling fitness, countless hours of season practices, to many, many games. There are good times and bad, but this team sticks together like no other team and finds a way to help each other push through everything we endure. Every time I ran a fitness test or lined up for sprints, I knew I had 24 other girls lining up with me, pushing through the same physical
pain that I was; I knew I had to do my part to push them in the same way that they were pushing me. If that isn't true friendship or a good teammate, I don't know what is.

When I look back at the last five years I've spent here at MSUB, I can't believe it is coming to an end. It really flew by! I have had the time of my life living as a student-athlete. I have met the most amazing people, this team has become a family to me and I have a lot of memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It will be painful to leave all of it behind. But I know I won't really fully be leaving it behind. I have left my mark here, and MSUB has left a mark on me. A part of me wishes it wasn't all coming to an end. But at the same time I am excited to start the next chapter of my life. The MSUB women's soccer program has helped shape me into the person I am today. I will use everything this program has taught me in my everyday life to hopefully make an impact on others as this program has made on me.

The best advice I can give is to not take it for granted, have fun and run with it because this is a once in a lifetime experience. I won't say goodbye because goodbye means forever, so for now I'll just say see you soon. I will truly miss all of you girls. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to get know you and play with all of you and I wish you the best of luck in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment