Monday, October 11, 2010

My People

Posted by Kari Foreman, Senior Midfielder

Victory is defined as a success or superior position achieved against any opponent, opposition, or difficulty. If you were to Google the word Victory you will come up with a thousand different images of triumph and conquest. And if you have, in your life, experienced victory in any sort of way, you too know the feeling that makes you scream, and jump up and down, and fist pump, and hug every last one of the people that helped you get to that moment. Now picture that image, and you have our team Saturday afternoon.

This past weekend, the entire team traveled by way of charter bus to Nampa, Idaho, where we beat Northwest Nazarene University 1-0 with a well-deserved, early overtime goal. Bouncing off of a tough loss, we did what we know how: we wanted it more, and, as I told the girls prior to the start of the game, the competitor who wants the win most, eventually, will have it.

To say that I have been victorious in my career here at MSUB would be somewhat accurate, stats wise, I’ve fallen at about 500. Meaning, I’ve probably been able to bask in the glory of victory about as much as I’ve had to sulk in the pain that is defeat. But this is what I’ve learned…

I’ve learned that Jordan Fenwick has an irrational fear of cotton, and when you need a good friend, she is only ever a phone call away. I’ve learned that Carly Valentine grew up in the OC version of Washington and is there to share a good laugh about a joke that most people don’t appreciate, anytime. I’ve learned that Lauren Anderson, despite being a great athlete, is extremely dedicated to her school work and is quite a cook when it comes to tomato soup. I’ve learned that Sami Sandau is someone you can be comfortable with without saying a word, and that she is quite the survivor, raising a little boy while competing in athletics, and going to school. I’ve learned that Sam Boehm communicates with her facial expressions, before she says a word, and through her hard work, I’ve come to admire the future she has set herself up for.

I’ve learned that Kelley Minard, who loves pink and shopping, is also quite a business professional and accounting whiz. I’ve learned that Amanda Brusic, will never fail to make me laugh, specifically through her unique dancing skills. I’ve learned that Tyshea ‘LAAASHELL” Davis marches to the beat of her own drum, is particularly spunky, and is obsessed with hot cocoa. I’ve learned that Danielle Gordon is always down for anything fun, is harder on herself than anyone I’ve ever met, and quite brilliant in science.

Jaucelyn Richter is one of the hardest working girls I’ve ever played with and I’ve learned that she can carry on humorous banter better than most. I’ve learned that Courtney Harvey, who grew up in this town, has a particularly special relationship with her sister and family, and is especially kind hearted and understanding. I’ve learned that Andrea Baytaluke is a bigger peanut butter fan than I am (and that is huge) and has an infectious laugh, which fortunately for us, isn’t particularly hard to come by. I’ve learned that Adrienne Biglow , who is fun and sassy with her sarcasm and quick wit, is quite gifted when it comes to knowing who is who in the pop culture world. I’ve learned that Jen Brookshire is an individual, who does things her own way no matter what anyone else says, a quality I think is quite admirable. She is also the biggest sweet tooth I have ever met. I’ve learned that Jen Larsen is always there when and where you need her and while it doesn’t take much, is constantly laughing, a very fun and distinct laugh. I’ve learned that Janae Remsberg ( who does not like to be called JENNAY like Forrest Gump) is quite gifted at speaking Spanish and is as kind and smiley as is the rest of her HUGE family, some of whom we’ve met and even played with in the past. I’ve learned that Kristen Kastelic, who has a cute little mouse voice, is always put together and cute, and when she tells a story you can’t help but be attracted by her overwhelming enthusiasm.

And oh the Freshman, in the short time that I’ve known them I’ve learned that Heidi Greenback is actually pretty outgoing once you get to know her and is always doing something quirky and fun, which she stops if she thinks she’s being watched. I’ve learned that Whitney Siler, who is a little bit hip hop at heart, has a close relationship with her brother and does not shy away from telling you all about him and how good he is at baseball, which I think highlights how proud she is of where she came from and I respect that. I’ve learned that Sabrina Granke-Bawab is fun and sweet, and can hold a good conversation, not to mention she has quite a powerful kick, since she hit me straight in the head before a game once, all in good fun, but I wouldn’t mess with her! I’ve learned that Jackie Hill is happy about just about EVERYTHING, especially Boise State, and will follow everything she writes with a :). I’ve learned that Agen Heffernan, who is soft spoken around me, is actually pretty funny and holds inside jokes with just about every other freshman, that I don’t understand, but she lets me in from time to time. And Finally, I’ve learned that Danica Johnson is all around excited and upbeat and is willing to go on a camping trip with all upperclassmen, which is just straight up brave, I like your style D.

What I’ve learned is that it isn’t ALL about the title, but the people who are still standing by you when you finally get all you’ve ever wanted. It’s about the people who are there to help you up when you are down and the people who help you to celebrate every victory. Because this is a team sport, you can’t do it alone and in the end, we all want to win, and we will all work hard to do so. These are my people, and they are the ones who will get me to where I want to be, my fate is in their hands and their fate is in mine. I’ll tell you what though; I wouldn’t pick any other group. These are my people, and, as I approach the end of my last season, I can’t help but think, that in 24 plus ways, I’ve already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment