Monday, October 25, 2010

The Last Road Trip.....of the Regular Season

Posted by Carly Valentine, Senior Midfielder

Hmmmm what to say about this past week? We lost, we won, we traveled, and SO much more in between. This was our last game against Saint Martin's, and our last game against Western Oregon, and for the seniors, the last time we play them....ever. It was bittersweet. We had a rough game against Saint Martin's when we came out a little flat, which we suffered for in the end. However, we came back as we always do with a vengeance and beat Western Oregon under trying weather conditions, field conditions and fatigue.

Throughout writing these blogs, I've realized that each and every week is different. If one were to go back and read each blog from the beginning, they would realize the ups and downs, the bad times and good, and the different personalities shining through. It is not only different each week for the team and our performance out on the field, but for each and every individual within our team. This week is a perfect example of that.

For the seniors, it was our last road trip in regular season for the rest of our lives. For the freshmen, it was the first last road trip of their first season of four. But, if any of you watched the games this weekend, you would see each seniors' initials on the sock of some underclassmen. Although the freshmen, sophomores and juniors know they at least have one more year, they didn't play like it. Each underclassmen is playing as if it is their last season. And I know I speak for all the seniors when I say, no one knows exactly how much that means to us. It's an inexplicable feeling really...knowing that what consumed our lives for four straight years, and arguably 17 years before that, is done soon.

I'm so excited to play this weekend, and I am even more excited that I KNOW my entire team is on the same page and wants to absolutely kill WWU and Simon Fraser just as much as I do. I love my team soooo much and I am so sad that it is coming to an end, but I know we are more than capable of extending our season further than two weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment