Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Walking in a Jackets Wonderland"

Posted by Lauren "Lo" Anderson, Senior Defender

Again, the weeks are just flying by! This past week we spent the days preparing for another set of GNAC games. On Thursday, we stepped out onto our home turf, ready to take on Central Washington. We battled hard and walked off the field with a 4-2 win. I must say, our offense really stepped up and came alive for us that game. This was an especially special day for me because to my utmost surprise, my dad had driven in from Washington to surprise me. :) He not only got to watch us play for the first time on our home field, he got to watch his first win on our home field.

Friday we took time at practice to refocus and prepare for SPU. At practice, you could feel the team’s energy. There was definitely a fire under all of us. We wanted to show SPU that we were ready for them. Back at 643 (Home of a five of us girls), Sandy (Carly’s Mom) was busy cooking for our team dinner. By Friday night, all of the parents in town had put together a HUGE team dinner including, spaghetti with 3 different homemade sauces to choose from, homemade mac n’ cheese, pizza hut bread sticks, a variety of fruit, salad, homemade Halloween cookies, Stella’s cookies, and an assortment of Halloween candy. Everything was amazing! Thank you to everyone who helped!

Saturday’s game was not only a game against SPU; it was also the Make-A-Wish game. Senior Captain Sam Boehm worked extremely hard on a semester long project to put together this project that benefitted the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As a team we were decked out in blue! Blue shirts, shoe laces, ribbons, hair bands, finger nails and toe nails painted to support Make-A-Wish.

When the whistle blew for the start of the game, the atmosphere was almost indescribable. The crowd was a blanket of blues and golds, and the stands were overflowing with MSUB sports team members, proud parents and fans. The entire game, the field echoed of chanting, cheering, and singing support for the Lady Jackets. “Walking in a Jackets Wonderland” is still ringing in my head. There were times during the game, when you were hear the fans and you couldn’t help but smile.

As a team, we battled. At half time it was tied 1-1, and after a scoreless 2nd half, we had to prepare ourselves for overtime. The crowd supported us the entire time. I cannot tell you how much we loved and appreciated the fans. It was by far, the best crowd I have ever had the privilege to play for. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME!

Unfortunately, SPU scored in the first overtime and the game ended very abruptly. The day was a perfect day minus this painful loss. And regardless of the score of the game, I have to say that I couldn’t be more proud and honored to be a member of this team.

Today at practice, we left the SPU game behind us and started preparation for St. Martins. We leave Wednesday morning for our last conference road trip of the year and some of us, our college careers.

As the conference season is coming closer to an end, it has me reflecting my last four years. Being a part of this team, this family, has enhanced, added and given more to my life than I could have ever asked for. Our next goal as a team is to make it to the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history. We are taking the rest of the season one game at a time. And I have to admit, I’m not ready for my career to be over. So making it to the tournament isn’t just a goal for me, It’s a MUST. Because, I MUST have more time being a part of this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment