Monday, July 25, 2011

Bitter-Sweet End


Courtney Harvey, Junior, Billings, MT.

"Anyone who has played a sport at any level will tell you that you can't focus on the bad things that might happen in a game or you won't be able to function properly when you are in the moment. You must be able to relax and compete aggressively while approaching the game with great confidence. It is the fear of failure that drives you, but it is visualizing success that gives you the positive mind-set and confidence to feel like you can accomplish anything."
~Drew Brees

For those of you who don't know, Drew Brees is the starting quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. Although I am not a Saints Fan (GO BRONCOS!!) I found his book very inspiring and would recommend it to anyone who plays or is interested in sports and has faith. As I sat down to read Drew's memoir for the second time this year, the above quote seemed to jump out at me with a heavy importance. Over the past couple years I have realized how important the element of confidence is to any aspect of life and most definitely to soccer. With that being said, I believe the best way to achieve confidence is to be as readily prepared for the task at hand as possible and to surround yourself with people you can count on to do the same. I know that is exactly the case for the team and family at MSUB. That is why I will undoubtedly say the achievements and positive possibilities we can accomplish are endless!

I have also learned to dedicate my hardwork to and be motivited by those who have faith and believe in me rather than trying to prove the naysayers wrong. No matter what I'm doing... running sprints in the scorching heat or the early mornings in the upper gym (sorry to bring that up girls, I know it's a sensitive subject to most of us), lifting, kicking long ball after long ball with my left foot, or practicing my defensive headers... I think about the various people in my life who have inspired me to get where I am today. Consider the teammates, coaches, family members, and friends who have helped you and believed in you along the way. Allow that to motivate you through the remainder of the summer and into the fall. It's more rewarding than you could ever expect!

Although I may be kicking myself in a couple weeks for saying this (hehe), I have never been this excited for pre-season to start! The end of summer is always bitter-sweet but I can't wait to see everyone and begin the 2011-2012 season. I am eager to start playing with old and new teammates and to see all the positive ways the incoming freshmen class will impact our program!

Hope everyone's summers have been all you hoped them to be and we will be seeing eachother soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment